Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Toys my children ACTUALLY play with.



*** If you want to join in, read the post here and then link up to the MckLinky below. It will be open for a couple of days. If you do not have a post ready to go this week, I will be posting a new one each Thursday. It doesn't have to be a new post, an old post about a toy that your child loves would be fine! Also, post or email me if you have a question about a toy that you do not own but are considering buying so that we can look for someone to give you a review of it. For example, I have two little boys so it is very hard for me to decide what to buy my five year old niece. I would love some suggestions.

Today I am posting the third edition of Toys my children ACTUALLY play with where we can share our children's favorite toys. Click here to see the first edition and here for the second addition.

Lincoln Logs

Lincoln Logs are a recent addition to our most-played-with toys list. My husband found a bucket of these fun toys at a garage sale for $10 about six months ago. At the time, D did not show much interest. He would quickly become frustrated and would want me to build him something just so he could knock it down. This was not my idea of fun and the Lincoln Logs went back in the closet. A couple of weeks ago I decided to pull them out and give my now almost four year old another chance. Since then my son has played with his Lincoln Logs daily. He now has the dexterity and patience to place the log in the correct position to make a house, a barn, a castle, or a tall tall tower.
Pros: 1. Like most blocks or building toys, it allows for a lot of creativity.
2. The logs seem to be very durable and strong. Our logs have slammed against the hard kitchen floor several times without damage.
3. Depending on the set that you buy, it may come with pioneer people and other pioneer gear (this is the one that we have) or a train and train tracks (this is the one my niece has and you can see above.)
Cons: 1. The little brother factor. Two problems: comes with small pieces for M to eat and M feels the need to destroy whatever his brother has built. (I don't know where he learned it from.)
2. It comes with A LOT of pieces. I mean A LOT of pieces. If you have a child who is reluctant to pick up his toys, this may drive you crazy. I suggest that you only offer the child a few logs at a time to save your sanity.
3. Prices vary with each set and some can be very expensive. Here is a link to a page with some of the options.
Lincoln Logs Happy Valley Farm - 211 Real Wood Pieces
Toys that we are interested in:
This one is not actually for me but I saw a recent discussion on another site asking about the Jumpstart Wii. Does anyone have experience with this toy that you can share?




10 comments:

  1. We love Lincoln Logs, too! They are definitely in the toy rotation though b/c of the frustration factor and clean up factor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lincoln Logs, but my kids don't have any interest in them. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys Lincoln logs. They have them at grandmas, and it is the first thing they play with there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lincoln logs. We want to get some for Matthew, but never seem to think of it when Christmas or birthdays roll around. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't seem to find the post we are supposed to read about the whole McLinky thing? I'd like to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Boaz's Ruth- I would love to have you participate. I couldn't find a way to contact you so I hope that you see this post. You just need to blog about your child's favorite toy and then come to my site (this post) and click on the "You are next..." at the end of the post. It will ask you for the name of your blog and your blog address. If you have anymore question, please let me know! Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great series! I love reading these! They are so helpful! Toys that kids actually play with. If I got organized I might be able to do this and share my link. We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never actually seen Lincoln Logs except in the box in the store, but they do look like fun. I am hoping that someone will give my daughter some new building toys for her birthday. If not, I am putting them on the Christmas wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a post ready to go! Waiting for Mr Linky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. I thought these were going up every Tuesday, not Thursday (blush)

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites



Counter

Powered By Blogger