Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Spanish Enrichment- Pocoyo


As I have mentioned before, we only speak to the boys in Spanish and they only respond to us in Spanish. I have seen time and time again that Spanish-speaking parents do not automatically produce Spanish-speaking children if you live in an English-speaking environment. As children get older and their parents become less cool, they tend to gravitate to what ever their friends or the majority is doing. Therefore, they need more outside influences to keep their interest in learning and using Spanish. My plan is to post once a week some of the other sources (besides mom and dad) for Spanish in my sons' lives. Today I am going to post about a wonderful little program that I found about a year ago on You Tube. Pocoyo is a cartoon produced in several languages about the adventures of a little boy and his friends; a dog, a bird, an elephant, and a duck. The language is simple and easy to follow and the programs are short (usually around seven minutes.) D and M absolutely love to watch it.
You can find one episode here called "No Tocar" or Don't touch. It also shows several other episodes that are available. We have watched most of them and they were all great. I would be happy to translate the episode or some of the words if someone has trouble understanding. The narrator is from Spain and uses some words that maybe unknown to some but for the most part, it is very easy to understand.
If you watch the video, please let me know what you think.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks. Bear is going to love this:) I have been checking out Gogo Lingo for Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. We live in Barcelona, Spain, and my son watches Pocoyo in English! :D
    It's fun you're doing the same only the other way around :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks, for the link for Pocoyo. My son is 6 and we travel to Central America a lot (and live near the Mexican border) so I want him to grow up knowing both English and Spanish. This summer, I will start making more of an effort to teach Spanish at home. He will be taking Spanish class next school year. So, any of your advice is quite welcome. I will check back to your blog for more tips!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites



Counter

Powered By Blogger