Sunday, June 13, 2010

Career Change

Diego was born at the end of December. I took the two months I was allowed to for maternity leave and returned to work. I will admit that I was miserable. I cried every day that first week back at school. I considered myself fortunate because as a teacher, I knew that I would be home for the summer in a couple of months. When it was time to start school the following August, I had the same feeling of dread. I knew that I would not be seeing Diego much since most days (when there were no meetings) I would be picking him up at 5:00 and he would be going to bed a couple hours after that. It was a very difficult year at work since we were missing several Spanish teachers. I had to do the job of two teachers which meant staying later and arriving earlier everyday. By the end of the school year I was exhausted and, despite everyone telling me that it would get easier, missing my baby more everyday. I proposed the idea of working part-time to my principal and to my surprise she agreed. I have been working part-time as a high school teacher for the last three years. A few months ago my husband was promoted in his job and we decided that I would stay home full-time. I do not know how long I will be able to stay home with the boys, but for now I am extremely happy and appreciate having this opportunity.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love being at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new reader of your blog and I look forward to reading about your teaching ideas. What an awesome opportunity to be at home with your boys. Felicidades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news. I am sure all of you will love the new arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! It's so important to have mommy influence full-time in the home, although it's not always possible! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had actually checked yours out too last night! Please tell me about your decision to teach French as well! And how will you be doing it? I do 2 weeks in Spanish, 2 weeks in English. The children get French with their Papa and everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I am jealous. There is no way I can stay home unless we win the lottery. Maybe one day my husband will return to full time employment, and things will be different then. I hope you will enjoy being at home with your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you, I can tell that's what you really want. I'm sure your boys will love having their mommy with them even more than they already do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. I know how you feel. I worked part time for the first 2.5 years of my oldest son's life and I still missed him so much. When I was pregnant with my 2nd we were in a better place financially and I decided to stay home. We don't know how long we can do it either but for now it's been 9 months and other than having to watch everything we spend, it's been great. I love being with my boys and knowing that I am enjoying my time with them while they are little and still want mommy to be around!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites



Counter

Powered By Blogger