I found this great website that describes Four Preschool Goals for Math.
Colors and shapes
- knows about colors and shapes
- identifies 6 colors
- identifies 4 shapes
Create a two-piece pattern
- creates and understands two-piece patterns
- uses words to make comparisons (bigger, biggest, smaller, smallest, heavier, heaviest, etc.)
- Can count to 20
- Can count a group up to 8 objects
- recognizes numerals 1 - 10
I have used these goals to help me plan out some Preschool Math activities this month. I figured that using Christmas as a theme can make anything fun-- even math.
Here is our first game:
Number Recognition 1-20
Do you recognize this? It is an empty Christmas ornament container.
I cut out the numbers from 1-20 using green and red paper and taped them to the bottom of the container. To play the game, D stood a few feet away from the box and tossed an object (we used dice) into the box and he had to name the number with the dice.
Leave off the numbers and just put different colors in each square.
Write down the numbers and add them up.
More or Less
Throw two dice into the box and figure out which number is larger or smaller.