Sunday, November 1, 2009

Día de los Muertos- Food

Today and tomorrow are known in Mexico and some other parts of Latin America as Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. All week, in an attempt to raise our boys with knowledge of both of their parents' cutures, we have read books, made crafts, decorated, and prepared food typical of both Halloween and Dead of the Dead. This post will show a few of the food that we have prepared this week in preparation for Day of the Dead.


Tamales. Every year we make an ENORMOUS batch of tamales for Christmas. This year we also made a small batch for Day of the Dead. I am not going to go into too much detail about how to make tamales in this post because I plan to when we make them for Christmas. I will tell you, however, that these tamales were made with chicken in mole sauce and they were DELICIOUS!

Chocolate Skelelton. This was my idea and it was a complete failure. We have these skeleton moldes that came with a science kit that my husband bought ages ago. Like everything in my craft closet, I just knew that I would reuse it some day so I held on to it. First, I attempted four times (yes, I said four) to make skeleton Jello jigglers. Everytime they just stuck to the mold and fell apart. Then I got the great idea to use melted white chocolate. Same outcome. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know or the mold goes in the trash.
Pan de los Muertos/Dead Bread. This is a very traditional pan served during Day of the Dead and also placed on the alters or "ofrendas" for the spirits of the departed to consume when they return to the visit the living. I had planned to make our own Dead Bread this year but I found this one already made and so pretty at the store so I took the easy way out. Maybe next year.
If you are interested in making your own or are just interested what is in Dead Bread, click here.
Calaveras de Azúcar/ Sugar Skulls. Sugar skulls are another very traditional "food" of Day of the Dead. You do not actually eat the skulls because they are made of pure sugar and decorated with sequins, ribbon, etc. This is on our list for next year because I did not have the molds to make the skulls and could not find a store selling them. If you would like to see what they look like (and you should because they are beautiful), click here.





2 comments:

  1. i've used wilton molds before to do chocolates. i wonder if they have a skeleton one. anyway, did you put it in the fridge to harden? it should pop right out. i don't think you spray it with pam or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law also makes a batch of tamales with mole every year on Christmas. My husband's family is from Oaxaca and I am told that is where mole came from so we have it on almost every special occasion! That bread does look very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites



Counter

Powered By Blogger