Tuesday, November 17, 2009

El Primer Día de Acción de Gracias or The First Thanksgiving


In Spanish "Thanksgiving" is translated as "el Día de Acción de Gracias." I know, it is a mouthful. I bought this book, El Primer Día de Acción de Gracias from a Scholastic book fair at my son's school because my library did not have many books about Thanksgiving in Spanish. Not terribly surprising since it is an American holiday. This book written for older kids so it was a little over my son's head. However, with some editing and further explanation, I think that it gave D a good overview of the history of Thankgiving.

El Primer Dia de Accion de Gracias (Hello Reader!/Hola, Lector! Level 3/Nivel 3)

After reading the book, we BOTH made coffee filter turkeys. What? I can't have fun too? ;0)

They are very easy to do. First, color with a marker on the coffee filter.

Next, wet the coffee filter. Our spray bottle is out of commission so D used a medicine dropper. This was BY FAR his favorite part. Now he wants to get all of his crafts wet!


Make a body, face, and in D's case, legs.
To find out more fun StART projects to do with books, visit A Mommy's Adventures.

11 comments:

  1. My daughter is the same, she often asks to wet her paintings and drawings because of a similar sort of activity that we did. I guess experimenting is half the fun!

    Your turkey's are very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute :) A great activity for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love coffee filter crafts - it's so much fun to watch the colors spread, and merge. And, your turkeys look great. Thanks for the heads up on the name for Thanksgiving in Spanish - I'll use that with the kids, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee filter turkey is a great idea. D did a great job putting the rest of the turkey together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making those, they are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made coffee filter turkeys the other week, yours came out so cute!!! Thank you for linking up :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love his turkey body and little feet! I need to try one of this coffee filter crafts, they look like so much fun...for everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I love using coffee filters, so easy and so colorful. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites



Counter

Powered By Blogger